Search This Blog

Sunday 13 March 2016

How Acceptance could help you overcome Selective Mutism and Social Anxiety



''WHAT YOU RESIST PERSISTS'' - C.G. JUNG

Accepting that you have a problem is the first step to overcoming anything. Be it addiction, anxiety or illness. Ignoring the problem or resisting it, won't make it go away. We need to accept our circumstances so we can move forward, but this can prove to be difficult for most of us.

We often struggle to accept ourselves resulting in negative self talk, self doubt and insecurities. These things don't help us get better, they keep us sick and stuck in the problem we are facing or worse, create more problems for ourselves.

If you can accept yourself just the way you are today, with all of your flaws you will not only make it easier for others to accept you, but you will create space for growth and change.

You have the control when you don't resist. What you resist persists, by focusing on the things you don't want, you are attracting more of what you don't want to you.. Some of us live in a constant state of resistance. We resist out of fear and what happens? We get more fear as a result. We are afraid of letting go of control, but when we are in a state of resistance we end up feeling out of control because we get tunnel vision and can't see the big picture. Letting go and accepting the current situation for what it really is, will give us a clearer view and much more control over ourselves.

Most of us find it hard to accept compliments or gifts because deep down we think we are not worthy of these things. Accepting gifts and compliments will increase your self esteem because you are telling yourself that you deserve these things and that people DO CARE ABOUT YOU.

I truly believe is self talk and positive affirmations. Here are a few that you can choose from. Pick one that resonates with you or write a list of your own and repeat it to yourself daily this week. Every morning and every night.


  • I accept myself and I show up for myself fully
  • I accept where I am today
  • I accept that I have Social Anxiety
  • I accept that I have Selective Mutism
  • I accept that I can overcome any problems I may face
  • I accept that no one is perfect
  • I accept and let go of the mistakes I've made
  • I accept this present moment as it unfolds
  • I accept the opinions of others
  • I accept gifts and compliments graciously
  • I accept my life situation
  • I accept my feelings/emotions


Acceptance is key to moving forward. Let us all practise letting go of the things we cannot control this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment